Wednesday, September 23, 2009

oh great mystery of life.....

Went back to the office this afternoon to do paperwork and ended up staying long after I should have been home- curled up in a comfy chair watching boring reruns under the guise of relaxing from a hard day's work...

I stayed, not because I was overworked (and underpaid- although I am both ) but because 3-4 of us started one of those conversations that make me remember why I work for hospice and I just couldn't seem to pull myself away...

It seems like a very long time since we've had some great conversations.... sharing stories- pondering the mystery of life, death and the beyond... We wondered why some people seem to wait, why some people cannot forgive or change even with the great beyond staring them in the face, how some can wrap up loose end and pass peacefully from this earth. We shared stories in which people dreamed of the death at the moment it happened, stories of breaths of air on people's face that let them know that their loved one, miles away, had departed. We considered sources of pain that have little to do with the physical and pondered the power of holding a hand and sitting quietly to bring peace and comfort.

I would love to understand how much is in our control and how much is beyond our control....

There are people in my life who stimulate my thinking, enlarge my horizons, keep me laughing, let me weep. There are people who stand by me, who let me fall, who pick me back up, dust me off and let me laugh at myself w/o distain.

Here's to those people in my life.... God bless you.... you know who you are... Here's to years and years ahead filled with laughter and tears, celebrations and sorrows, new vistas, new joys, new children and becoming childlike. Here's to taking one day at a time- realizing God's grace is present for today Here's to exploring the mysterys, pondering and wondering together. I am so very grateful....

Here's to coming to the end of life without regrets.... controlling what we can, celebrating what we cannot, totally able to die that way in which we have lived..... and I pray that we can live full out...




Free Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment