Friday, September 4, 2009

listen

The word filtered down the pike today.... DIFFICULT family....
pissed off you might say

I heard it first on report driving to work, and I prayed a very intense prayer that this particular family would be on anybody else's schedule...

I told the Lord I just couldn't do it- I'd do anything else - bargaining
I immediately assumed that I just was not good enough- that this family would require someone with far more skill- denial
I got to work and discovered the name written neatly- right under mine- anger
I told my co-workers that I would happily do anything else- and we are back to - bargaining..

I milked it as long as I could.

Then I sucked it up and went....

I eased my way in the door, I smiled, I greeted, I settled in a comfy chair and used my favorite opening line "Tell me........" I said. And boy did I hear, the words spilled out.

The thing is- about 5 minutes in, my attitude completely changed. When I started LISTENING to all the things this woman had on her plate- my attitude changed. I could not believe all the things she was trying to handle- all the plates she had balanced in the air. It all came out in a huge rush..... concern for her mom and frustration with the hospital experience, sure- but beyond that she had a husband with problems, teenagers (enough said?), in-laws, a business.... and on it went....

Once it was finally out, once she had finally spent herself- the rest was fairly easy. The patinet's care was fairly straightforward, her needs relatively simple.

I left there feeling humbled..... reminded that we are fellow sojouners.... that there is much we do not understand.....

I left there feeling grateful- for her difficulties certainly trumped my own....

I left there feeling thankful.....

I left there with acceptance- and a huge hug....




Free Counter

2 comments:

  1. You are just that good! You know God put you right where you needed to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. "open mind" the Buddhists would say..."meet them where they are" I would say :)..."you are exactly what your patient needs at that time"...paraphrased as Rachel Remen would say...

    ReplyDelete