Saturday, January 23, 2010

prayers

He inhabits the praise of His people (Psalm 22:3)

I was so blessed this week by an elderly gentleman who took my hand and said "I pray for you Sally, I pray for you every day" I barely know this man. Faced with his own trials and tribulations- it humbles me beyond words to know that he stops and prays.... for me....

I have been thinking about it ever since- wondering what prompts us to pray...... and wondering what the effects of those prayers really are. Something changes when we pray.

So much is happening in the world around us- so much seems out of our control. Yet every where I look, I see people trying to reach out- trying to help other people.

There are ladies who knit or crochet the prayer shawls like the one pictured above. As their fingers form the patterns, they pray for the person who will receive them. They don't know what the need will be.... they simply trust that their Father will know.
Wrapped warmly in the shawl, it almost seems that you can feel the prayers that formed it.

Say a prayer for someone tonight..... something changes when you do.




Free Counter

8 comments:

  1. Prayer is a powerful tool for God's people.

    I do and I will. Great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the aspect of praying someone, and not for something....and trusting that God knows what the need is. It takes our feeble ego and 'knowledge' out of the equation. Ditto to Journaling Woman...I do and I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm certainly no expert, but I wonder if praying calms you inside, eases outside thoughts and worries, takes your mind off your own troubles and lets you release pain.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Helen...it actually does do all of those things...in our limited way of clinically measuring those outcomes, studies have shown those benefits. So...you ARE the expert :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful, Sally. Prayer is the best way in the world to reach beyond ourselves to help others. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love all these thoughts... thank you

    are you familar with Julia Cameron's books? I've been (trying) to do the "morning pages" she suggests (3 pages every morning -write w/o thinking) That seems to be my best morning prayer- where it all just comes spilling out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayer is such a blessing! How amazing! And what a great reminder of its power.

    ReplyDelete