Saturday, June 27, 2009

growing up....

Dan and Nate are close to leaving Indianna and will be home this afternoon

Alex and I will be leaving for Indianna where he will spend a week at diabetic camp.... probably his last one....

It's been a great place for him to go every summer. I remember the first year- he was 10- I was such a wreck about leaving him with total strangers that I went too and spent a week being "nurse" to a bunch of 10y/o girls with diabetes. The girls complained that our laughing woke them up in the morning- only fair- we were up half the night sneaking in to check their blood sugars! I think I had more fun than he did that year! What a great place- what great people.... The camp has quite the international flavor as there are a good many kids from Russia who attend.... I remember fondly my little one from Khavastan (sp?) She must be all grown up now.... I heard that she is planning to be a nurse....

I was assigned a doctor that year also- who spoke no English. We smiled, nodded and somehow managed to communicate nicely...

Alex and I have had a great week.... We went to his college orientation on Thursday. Friday he went out and got himself a full time job! All on his own- with no helpful advice from mom! Even picked out his own clothes! He'll start the week he comes back and work until school starts. Halleluhah.

Last night I sat on the porch swing and watched him put on a one man Harlem globetrotters show...."hey mom, watch this" It seems that no matter how old they get, men never lose the boy inside (at least the good ones don't!)

No comments:

Post a Comment