Saturday, June 6, 2009

celebrate...

There definitely is something healthy about finding a place to dump the junk and celebrate what is good....

I have been dumping some junk here on the pages of this blog- but I am noticing that I am walking in this world with a sense of freedom that I haven't experienced for awhile....

It feels good not to hold everything inside....

It feels good to be mindful.....

Hospice has felt very heavy these last few months- while trying to deal with all that we are dealing with here..

Yesterday I was able to find some moments that made me remember what I love- an elderly lady with the softest hands and the bluest eyes. She kept my hand between hers and stroked it while she talked. She told me about traveling to this country from Scotland on a boat when she was 5 years old- told me about her daddy and how he worked in a coal mine to bring each of his children- one by one- to this country. Her eyes changed as she talked- I could see reflected there the love of her father....
Hours later I sat in a room laughing and crying as a grandmother told me of her frustration- she and her granddaughter have made plans to get matching tatoos..... The girl's father finally consented- and now grandma is not up to the adventure.... The granddaughter assured her that she was going to carry out the scheme and get the tattoo they had planned- so she will always have a piece of grandma with her....

What is it that binds us together with those we love? It is not something that can be seen..... It is more than a feeling..... but whatever it is- it is here long after we are gone....

Today feels like a perfect June day... the air is cool this morning, the sun is rising with promise. The birds are singing and outside my window, pink roses bloom.
There are boys in the beds and on the couches. In a few short years, I imagine those beds and those couches will be empty- it is good to know that the memories will live on....

No comments:

Post a Comment